RiverCenter, Inc. invites applications for the position of Marketing Director.
This is a senior-level position, reporting to the Executive Director. The Marketing Director oversees the marketing for RiverCenter through the planning, development, and implementation of the marketing, advertising, promotion, and public relations and helps establish organization wide policy with regards to marketing and promotion.
Leadership & Management Duties
- Supervises other staff as assigned and makes recommendations which are given particular weight regarding the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion, and other changes of status of those supervised.
- Ensures productive and maximum utilization of the facilities of RiverCenter by planning and directing annual and seasonal marketing/advertising campaigns targeted towards selling subscriptions, group sales, and individual tickets.
- Developing and initiating publicity and public relations campaigns, marketing plans, and related materials for RiverCenter and its various programs that inform many communities about the programs sponsored by RiverCenter.
- Overseeing the preparation of printed program books, membership brochures and various other program related materials for multiple media outlets.
- Coordinating advertising through the preparation and placing of various media advertisements and managing significant media trade agreements.
- Serving as editor for the RiverCenter newsletter.
- Work with other RiverCenter departments to maximize marketing through the Box Office, volunteers, Trustees and educational opportunities. Oversees the RiverCenter Box Office as a sales unit of the organization.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Executive Director.
- Contributes to the overall success of the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
RiverCenter’s annual budget is approximately $2.4 million.
Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Marketing or an Arts discipline is required, and a Master’s degree in similar disciplines is preferred. Five years of professional employment in marketing, the arts, and/or a related field is necessary. A thorough knowledge of telemarketing, promotions, advertising, print and electronic media, audience development are required. An understanding of the performing arts is strongly preferred. Extensive business experience dealing with customers and/or employees on a one-on-one basis; experience with nonprofit organization is highly desirable. Education and experience may be substituted for one another.
Located in the heart of historic Uptown Columbus, RiverCenter for the Performing Arts is the centerpiece of the city’s arts and entertainment district. With its three state-of-the-art theatres and educational facilities, RiverCenter is the largest arts center in the region. It is home to the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, Columbus State University’s Schwob School of Music, and regularly partners with the Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus, Columbus Ballet, and Cantus Columbus.
Conceived as a vital cultural hub, the Center was designed by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer and Associates to enrich the Chattahoochee Valley region artistically. The construction was funded in part by $87.1 million of the over $100 million raised by the Columbus Challenge, an unprecedented public-private fund-raising effort that also revitalized other key local cultural organizations. The remainder of the funding came from a $17 million state appropriation and a $35 million matching gift from the Bradley-Turner Foundation.
A property of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the 245,000 square foot RiverCenter is a visually stunning blend of the past and present, mixing the brick and ironwork of the area’s historic buildings with a modern multi-level glass and steel facade.
RiverCenter includes the 2,000-seat Bill Heard Theatre, as well as Legacy Hall, a 450-seat concert hall with the Jordan Concert Organ, and the 150-seat black box Studio Theater. Legacy Hall and the Studio Theater provide rehearsal and performance space for the Columbus State University’s Schwob School of Music. The Music School’s classrooms, rehearsal spaces, studios, and practice rooms are also located at RiverCenter; oversight of these spaces is provided by CSU faculty and staff.
The mission of RiverCenter is “to bring together a variety of artists and audiences for entertainment, education, and enrichment of the cultural life of our region.” It is a major component of the successful revitalization of Uptown Columbus.
The City of Columbus:
Once Georgia’s last frontier outpost and now the state’s second largest city, Columbus is a true destination for history, theatre, arts, and sports. It was the first in the state to form a consolidated city/county government and redefined the way public-private partnerships come together. Columbus, Georgia is a city unafraid of change—yet careful to uphold its heritage.
Columbus is a mid-sized city (population 202,000) with big city amenities (but without big city hassles) and southern heritage and charm. It has been recently ranked #4 of Top Places to Raise a Family and made the Top 100 Places to Live in America list. With excellent public schools, a vibrant downtown, a diversified economy, and such attractions as the Chattahoochee River Walk, the Coca-Cola Space Science Center, the National Infantry Museum, and the historic Springer Opera House, Columbus is considered a “city of choice.”
Salary is competitive with similar jobs at other local not for profit organization. Experience and qualifications with access to all benefits offered to RiverCenter’s full-time employees. Evaluation of the development director’s job effectiveness and potential for salary increase will be closely tied to the meeting or exceeding of the development targets.
Deadline for applications: Friday, July 7, 2017.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume with a list of references and salary requirements in confidence to:
Genovese, Vanderhoof & Associates
77 Carlton Street, Suite 1103
Canada M5B 2J7
For additional information: www.rivercenter.org, www.columbusga.com